Tuesday, June 4, 2013

the good wife.


Several months ago, I came across a blog about the model woman by a graduate of George W. Truett Theological Seminary named Christina Gibson. In her blog, she writes about her perspective on Proverbs 31. She goes on to share her experience "idolizing a contextual poem" and how it should not be a template for women. You can read her blog here: http://christinagibson.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/the-lie-of-the-model-woman/.

Being the egalitarian that I am, even to the point of feminism sometimes, I agree with most of what Christina Gibson writes about. I do believe that Proverbs 31 has been idolized by many women and I thought that it was interesting to read about how she saw the capable wife's worth was based on what she produces.


As a result of this blog, I reflected on the lives of the wives in the church that I grew up in. Being raised in an Indonesian church, I have seen many examples of whom people consider the "model wife." For Indonesians, the model wife is submissive to her husband, serves her family first, is diligent in her work, and is the glue which bonds the family together. Her worth is also in what she does and what she provides. If the woman is not able to produce much, she seems utterly worthless. I think that my Asian culture does have it wrong. Although I believe that living a righteous and godly life will produce good fruit, our worth should not be placed on the product of our work, but our heart. People look at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart, and that should be the standard of our worth.

I have realized that although my works are important, it should not define me. In the same way, I hope that my future wife will see that she is worth so much more than the things her hands produce. Although I want her to work well and be motivated to serve in her ministry and in her career, I hope that she will realize that I will love her for who she is. She does not have to prove herself for me to love her, but instead she will be a capable wife because she loves me and her family. It is her love that will compel her to do good works. It should not be that her works will compel her to be loved. Now, this might be my Americanized logic speaking, but then again, I am Asian American.

1 comment:

  1. While I see a lot of Asian cultures classifying the "model wife" as submissive to her husband, I think that that is a global phenomenon amongst women, not only just an Asian one. I see that in America too. America is a pretty works-based society as well with ideas of the "super mom" who balances both work and family life.

    Of course, Westernized countries, especially in Europe, may be becoming more egalitarian these days.

    -Jaja

    ReplyDelete