Thursday, August 28, 2014

What to do with Ferguson

Ferguson is a topic that has been heavy on my heart as of late. It's been brought up by many black activists, white mega-church pastors, and is the center of conversation in one of my classes. So, what's the big deal?

As Christians, we believe in the worth of every individual. Yes, EVERY individual. We say that all men are created in the image of God, but truthfully, we do not treat them as such. As an Asian American, I can say that I have experienced oppression and discrimination. However, I can say that as an Asian American, I am also privileged. I guess you could say that I am caught in the "in-between." I have privilege in some areas of American society in that Asians are put on a pedestal for academics and their work ethic. Nonetheless, I am discriminated against because White people still pack up and go (white flight) when there is a mass migration of Asians into a concentrated area (just look at Chinatown) and in that very few people to understand my culture (I'm not Chinese). 

So, as a person of the yellow color caught in between the spectrum of white and black, what am I to do? I believe that my experiences are powerful.I understand the racial discrimination and prejudice that plagues my black brothers and sisters. But also, I have been placed in a position of privilege because Asians have been called the model race for our academic and occupational successes. So, in this time of racial tension, maybe God put the "in-betweens" in America to be a mediator, bringing both our experiences of privilege and discrimination to establish common ground and unity. Being in the "in-between" allows us to be the mediator between the two extremes as long as we remember that we are not mutually exclusive from either side. It should not be us against the whites or us against the blacks. Instead, we are supposed to be an integrated unit, and as such, we have been given the opportunity to help create peace between our white and black brothers and sisters. 

I'll end with this. The Ferguson case is not only a governmental and societal problem, but it is also a God-problem because God cares for ALL of humanity. God did not intend for racial segregation and discrimination, but through Jesus, we can see that God is a breaker of walls and boundaries accepting of ALL people. Whenever we discriminate against whites and blacks, our comments mock God's glorious creation. Whenever we say that we speak truth and fact about the negative aspects of the "majority" of a race, may we repent because our hope is in Christ Jesus and in Him is hope for everyone. Although society may discriminate me less as an Asian American, I must remember that it is not God that has not given me that privilege, but it is a man-made privilege. Therefore, I have nothing to boast about as a person of the yellow color, but I have everything to boast about as a follower of Christ. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Practical ways to end racial discrimination as Asian-American Christians:

1. Stop the generalizing. Stereotyping leads to false perceptions and unfair judgement. If we don't stop the generalizations in our own lives, it will pass down to our children and grandchildren.

2. Listen to stories. We can learn a lot just by listening to the stories of diverse people. My white friends never would have known about "Driving while black" and my black friends would have never known about white guilt if they didn't listen to each other's stories. Stories put a face to social issues and preserves the humanity of the group being judged. 

3. Pray for peace. There is so much unrest in our nation today because of the death of Michael Brown and we must pray to God for peace. We cannot change a nation ourselves and fortunately, God wants to partner with us in ending the hate crimes and discrimination of our day. 

4. Remember dignity and worth. Every person has dignity and worth no matter their actions because they possess the image of God. Remembering this during times of confrontation and anger can put the value of the person into perspective. 


With Love,
Kevin Pranoto

No comments:

Post a Comment